Been a while since I watched any Korean Drama. As the current workload increase, it is hard to deny that I would need to de-stress after a long day at work. Some of the recent dramas airing or have completed airing can be pretty heavy stuff. So, after reading the wonderful episodes recap on Dramabeans.com – She Was Pretty (그녀는 예뻤다) I have chosen to catch up on this drama. A prefer choice!
She was Pretty (그녀는 예뻤다) is a light and sweet drama that tells the childhood friendship leading to love story of Ji Sung-Joon (starring Park Seo-Joon) and Kim Hye-Jin (starring Hwang Jung-Eum).
When Sung Joon was younger, he was fat and ugly. He did not have many friends. On a rainy days, Sung Joon was traumatized when the memory of a childhood accident that took away his mother from him came back to him. Popular and pretty Hye Jin gave him comfort and also became his friend.
Both children held special connection with each other where they spend a lot of time together. Hye Jin, although is very pretty, has a crazy mane of a hair. Under the rain, her curly hair surface but she was not shy to show it to Sung Joon. Sung Joon later moved to the United States with his father, separating both children whom later lost contact as Hye Jin moved too.
15 years later, Sung Joon return to South Korea. He seek out Hye Jin wanting to meet him again. But Hye Jin whom is now ‘ugly’ and jobless was not able to show herself in front of Sung Joon whom is now a very handsome and perfect in many ways.
Hye Jin then asked her best friend, Ha Ri (starring Koh Joon-Hee) for help pretending to be Hye Jin for that one meeting only. For the sake of her best friend, Ha Ri pretended to be Hye Jin and met up with Sung Joon. During the meet up, she told Sung Joon that she would be leaving to further study the next day for England.
Fate brought Hye Jin whom got hired as an intern at a fashion magazine where Sung Joon returned from United States to lead as the magazine Deputy Editor in the quest of needing to make the magazine successful again within 3 months, failing of which, the magazine would be closed its publication in South Korea.
On Hye Jin’s first day at work, she accidentally bump into Kim Shun Hyuk (starring Choi Si-Won) whom had another secret identity behind the silly staff member of the magazine. Shun Hyuk later fell in love with Hye Jin and in his many cute yet ‘irritating’ way of trying to win her heart.
And Sung Joon, accidentally met Ha Ri in the hotel where she worked. And then they started dating with Ha Ri slowly started falling in love with him. And Ha Ri had to hide the whole thing behind Hye Jin because she felt guilty towards Hye Jin.
In the meantime, working together in a team, Sung Joon initially despite the presence of Hye Jin. Many times, he wanted to fire her. While many of her actions reminded him of his childhood friend. That confuses him as he realized that the ‘Hye Jin’ that he is dating had changed over the 15 years while the Hye Jin at work has many traits of his childhood friend.
Sung Joon finally found out the true identity of his ‘Hye Jin’ and the Hye Jin at work. When he found the real Hye Jin, he was truly happy. Sadly for him, Hye Jin realized how hurt Ha Ri was and decided to back off as well deciding to remain as friend to Sung Joon.
Not giving up, Sung Joon in his many gentle and sweet ways tried to win the heart of Hye Jin. And when they had to be separated with Sung Joon having to return to United States while Hye Jin pursue her dream of being a writer, they maintain their long distance relationship. Sung Joon finally crumbled to missing Hye Jin too much and hence return to South Korea, surprising her on a rainy day.
Here, sharing some of my thoughts on why I had truly enjoyed She was Pretty (그녀는 예뻤다):
- The story tells that looks is not important as the heart is what matters the most. In She was Pretty (그녀는 예뻤다), Sung Joon whom is popular, successful and good looking, never once strayed from wanting to look up for his good friend from childhood whom he had dearly missed. Although there were a misunderstanding initially where he thought Ha Ri was Hye Jin, although his heart was heading towards Hye Jin, he tried his level best to stay true to Ha Ri while thinking that she had changed over the years. When he finally found out the truth between the two identities, he tried his level best to pursue Hye Jin despite her wanting to remain as good friend for the fear of upsetting Ha Ri whom in the whole progress, fell in love with Sung Joon.
- The friendship between Ha Ri and Hye Jin. A true best friend, both of them supported and stood by each other side through the thick and thin. When the truth was revealed about Ha Ri using the fake identity of Hye Jin dated Sung Joon, Hye Jin took it well. And when Sung Joon found out the truth and wanted to date Hye Jin, she took a step back after knowing how hurt Ha Ri was. She only decided to follow her heart after Ha Ri gently pushing her towards that direction while hiding some of the hurt that she still feel. The sweet relationship between both Ha Ri and Hye Jin are indeed very sweet and caring.
- Sung Joon when he slowly realized how much he cared for Hye Jin. And when he heard the news about Hye Jin driving a car was not in a good condition followed by the news that he read about the deadly accident on the road, he rushes off to get to Hye Jin. And he managed to overcome his fear of driving in the rain as to him, as Hye Jin was more important in his heart that he did not realized that it was raining. The moment where he saw Hye Jin after screaming at the rescue team asking for Hye Jin, whom he thought was injured……
- Shin Hyuk in his many goofy ways took good care of Hye Jin. When he finally admitted to Hye Jin about how he felt, he begged her not to go to Sung Joon. But when she made the decision to go to him, Shin Hyuk gently let her go. And to help Sung Joon in achieving his task that he was sent back to South Korea for, Shin Hyuk revealed his true identity, the famous yet mysterious writer. And he sweetly came back to say goodbye to Hye Jin while he left a video goodbye to all the other member of the publication team
- The close unity of the staff member. There were many funny and entertaining moments. From how they support each other, fight and make up.
- The character, Kim Ra-Ra (starring Hwang Suk-Jung) whom is the Editor for the magazine. Being the sister of the owner of the organization, she was given the task as the Editor of the publication. However, she knows nothing of magazine publication. I find moments where she appears are hilarious and truly entertaining where she cracks me up with her funny tactics. Especially her dressing and the way she speak in Italian….
A truly entertaining yet light drama, She was Pretty (그녀는 예뻤다) was indeed a perfect choice to watch when one needs to unwind from a stressful day at work. I know for sure, She was Pretty (그녀는 예뻤다) would be on my repeat / re-watch drama list until I get bored with it. So, if you have not watch She was Pretty (그녀는 예뻤다), I would highly recommend this drama. After all, one can’t go wrong with the beautiful cute smile of Park Seo Joon and Hwang Jung Eum.
The sweet smile of Park Seo Joon
Beautiful Hwang Jung Eum
Sung Joon surprising Hye Jin by returning from the States without telling her in advance. And the umbrella that has meaningful meanings to both of them
Many sweet moments of the OTP
Ending this review with the lovely OST sang by Park Seo Joon : Park Seo Joon (박서준) – Long Way (먼 길)